The debate has been raging on and on for a very long time as to how often to get your air ducts cleaned. Should the cleaning be done on a yearly, a bi-yearly basis, or on a more regular schedule? These are all questions that have haunted homeowners for some time with no satisfying answers being available. The reason for this is that a number of people have different opinions about this question.
What the Experts Have to Say
According to one of the leading air duct cleaning associations in the US, the National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association, air ducts need to be cleaned in every three to five years. This means that once you have gotten your air duct cleaned, you can sit back and relax for the next three years at least.
Yet, there are experts in the industry that believe that this cleaning needs to be done on a bi-yearly basis. The fact that the opinion is split within the industry is largely due to the fact that different areas in the US have different amount of dust and dirt levels in the air, that are damaging your air ducts. Factors such as these and other related ones are what determine when it’s best for you to get your air duct cleaned.
When Must I Get My Air Ducts Cleaned?
There is an easy way out of the debate on when to get your air ducts cleaned and that is to decide based on the situation that you find your air duct in. Here is a lowdown of some of the instances when air duct cleaning becomes absolutely necessary according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
- You are able to clearly see evidences of dirty air or a “poof” of dust in the air as it exits the air vents through the supply registers.
- You have reason to believe that there is mold growth in your air ducts.
- You are able to identify or notice infestation of vermin, rodents or insects in your duct work or their free movement inside the duct work.
- If you are able to see pollutants, black debris, etc. in your system.
- You are able to see lots of duct buildup in the area and on your filter, when you are changing it or having it changed.
Frequently Asked Questions About How Often to Clean Air Ducts
If you are still perplexed as to when and how to get your air ducts cleaned, here is a conclusion to the most commonly asked questions by homeowners:
1. Does a New Home Need to be Cleaned Right After Completion?
Once you have completed the construction of your new home, you need to get your air ducts cleaned to ensure nothing from the construction period remains inside.
2. Should I Clean the Air Ducts After Moving Into a New Residence?
Once you have moved into a new home, you won’t know when the air ducts were last cleaned and it’s best to get it done before you start living there.
3. How Often Should Phoenix Residents Have Their Air Ducts/ HVAC Units Cleaned?
Once every two to five years. Some contractors may try to trick you into a more regular cleaning schedule though.
Request a FREE Air Duct Cleaning Estimate
If you’ve recently moved into a new house, brand new or existing, or it’s been a while since you’ve last had your air ducts cleaned, please call (602) 466-2234 or click here to speak with a specialist with A-Z Air Duct – Phoenix’s leading provider of air duct and dryer vent cleaning.