Why Your Dryer Vent is Leaking
A leaking dryer vent may cause mildew and mold in your home. Severe cases might even cause water damage. The internet is flooded with DIY or “do it yourself” tips for how to replace dryer vent systems, but failure to call a professional could make the problem even worse. Improper dryer vent installation can cause home damage and health problems, and it’s just not worth the risk. The first step toward installing a dryer vent is understanding the potential reasons for a leak.
Causes of Dryer Vent Leaks
- Blocked Vent – Lint and other fabric particles can build up over time, and eventually they block the flow of air through the pipe. When the hot air becomes trapped, it can condense into a liquid buildup that leaks through the pipe. In these cases, a dryer vent cleaning may be enough to solve the problem.
- Condensation – In cold climates, the warm passage of air through a vent may cause condensation in conjunction with the cold air outside. Though it doesn’t often get too cold in Phoenix, we do get down to freezing temperatures occasionally. It’s best to make sure your vent is adequately insulated.
- Broken Flap on Outer Opening – Dryer vents have a flap at the system’s exit. The flap should open to let air out, then close after it. If the flap doesn’t open hot air will be trapped inside and cause condensation. It the vent opens but won’t close then natural elements might come in through the vent.
- Holes or Cracks in the Pipe – If the vent pipe is damaged in any way, it won’t be able to function correctly, and it can develop a leak. Hot air and moisture will escape into your home.
- Vent Exhausts into House – If the exhaust is not properly ventilated to the outside of the home, it will create a buildup. This problem typically occurs when the system vents into an attic or another enclosed area.
Leaking vents can cause mold, mildew, and dust to build up in the house. This might agitate respiratory issues or allergies, and can even lead to certain types of cancers. Gas dryers may leak carbon monoxide into your home if they’re not properly ventilated. Carbon monoxide poses a severe health risk and must be addressed immediately.
Best Dryer Vent Solutions Phoenix, AZ
Leaking dryer vents might not seem like a big problem at first, but they can get out of control fast. It’s important to address the issue as soon as you recognize it. A-Z Air Duct has the knowledge and experience to make sure the problem gets resolved as efficiently as possible. Contact us today to let a professional take care of your leaking dryer vent.
Featured image: Bacho/Shutterstock